Saturday, April 26, 2014

Stop. Rewind. It's smoothie time!

Share it Please





Hey all! So, I decided my next post is going to be a "healthy" one. I know a lot of you probably drink smoothies, whether you make it yourself or you go to somewhere like Jamba Juice or Smoothie King. They are nutritional (DEPENDING how you make it) as well as delicious.

So, let me cue you in on some basic knowledge you should know about smoothies. Smoothies can be healthy for you, it just depends how you make it. If you add things like ice cream, frozen yogurt, sugar, nutella, chocolate, fruit juices, etc, then you are obviously making it an unhealthy drink. You can continuously tell yourself "it's good for me because there is fruit!", but FRP (for reals player), it's not a completely healthy drink. I will admit, I do add orange juice I buy from the store (not fresh made) and add greek yogurt (which has a good amount of sugar), but I am a college student and I survive on what I can afford.

So, I've decided to give my basic recipe for the smoothie I try to make on a regular basis.





The College Budget Smoothie:

1. Strawberries: one of my favorite fruits, strawberries pack a ton of nutrients and good juju to help with many of the problems people have today (like fighting off cancer and bad cholesterol). Normally, I put around 5-6 strawberries in my smoothie just because it is one of my favorite fruits. You're more than welcome to add more or less!

2. Banana: Although they are filled with sugar, banana's have always been a fruit that has been at the top of my list (after avocados and strawberries of course).  The reason why I add a banana to my smoothie is to pack a little punch into it to give me energy for the day. Normally, I only add one, but at some points I add two. Also, if you don't like banana, just replace it with an avocado (which is much better), although they are more expensive, they taste delicious in a smoothie!

3. Orange Juice: I unfortunately don't make my own orange juice, although I really should. However, if you are like me and money and time are tight, then just buy the bottled kind. Just make sure you don't add too much to your smoothie or it will be a little too citrusy (unless you like that, then add away!).

4. Greek Yogurt: The yogurt I use is the "Greek Gods Yogurt, Greek, Honey & Strawberry Flavored" and I know what you're going to say, "you should use plain greek yogurt, it's healthier for you!" Okay, I know it's healthier for me, but I'm not fond of just plain yogurt and I never have been. This is probably the unhealthiest thing I've added to my smoothie. I recommend that you do get plain greek yogurt though, it's healthier and has less sugar than this one. I normally add around 2-3 spoonfuls to the smoothie to give it that creamy texture.

5. Spinach Leaves: I am probably the only person in the world who didn't know spinach leaves could taste so good in smoothies. But that is probably because it is mixed with sweet fruits, so it loses the flavor, ha. Everyone knows that spinach is a great vegetable to eat and now you all know it is a great vegetable to drink! I add around 2 handfuls worth of spinach leaves to my smoothie, however, you are more than welcome to add less or more.

6. Carrots: I mean, I have to keep my big 'ole eyes looking fabulous, right? Carrots are yummy, sweet, and have great nutritional value. They add more sweetness to your smoothie than you think. I normally get the "chip" looking ones that can easily be taken as a snack and add around a handful or so.

OPTIONAL
7. Steel Cut Oats: People always wonder what is the difference between regular oats and steel cut oats. The biggest difference is that steel cut oats are the least processed oats out of all the ones you may buy. I normally don't put too much into my smoothie or it will become oat-y flavored. If you like steel cut oats, it's a good thing to put into your smoothie because it will fill you up faster (And it makes up for a great replacement for breakfast if you normally eat oatmeal during the day).


All these ingredients last me around 2 weeks, so it's a good thing to buy as a college student who doesn't earn as much money as she should...

But I hope you enjoyed this "health" post! If you have any comments or want to add any nutritional facts to help me improve my smoothie, PLEASE feel free to comment below. Criticism is always welcome, but remember, be polite about it, don't be rude.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment